FAQ (Frequently asked questions):

1. When should I get a building inspection undertaken?

Answer - Prior to purchase:

2 To help save money, can I get the building inspection undertaken after I sign the contract once I know I have secured the property?

A) No. Under NSW laws, once you sign a contract (66W) the property then belongs to you. You have purchased that property based on whatever research, decisions and information you obtained prior to signing.

3 What should a pre purchase inspection include?

A) The purchasers name.

B) The address of the property.

C) Reason for the inspection/s.

D) Date the inspection was undertaken.

E) The scope of the inspection

F) A list of any area or item that wasn’t inspected, the reasons why it wasn’t inspected and if necessary, a recommendation for further investigation.

G) A summary of the overall condition of the property (considering its age and type) and any major faults founds in the property

H) A list of any significant problems that need fixing

I) If necessary, a recommendation that a further inspection or assessment be carried out by a suitably accredited specialist (e.g. pest inspector, electricity supply authority, water supply authority, structural engineer, geotechnical engineer, surveyor or solicitor).

4 If I have specify and/or particular items and areas on the site/property that I would like to be inspected is this something your company can help me with?

Yes - please advise/ask our inspector prior to the inspection.

5 Can I save money by obtaining a report prepared by the agent and or vendor? No:

A) On the surface (in theory) it sounds like an excellent idea but in NSW all inspections need to comply with (A – I) above.

B) No - Unlike the ACT inspectors in NSW are not required to be licenced. It is now an “Unregulated Industry” and buyers need to beware.

C) No - Reports cannot be transferred into your name after you purchase the property thus rendering them of little and/or no value for pre purchase purposes.

D) The report legally belongs to the name of the person whose name is on the report. It is therefore important to be aware that losses arising in contract or tort sustained by a third party is at your own RISK so it is vital that your name is on the report prior to purchase.

E) “Caveat Emptor” - Buyer beware.

F) You should always seek advice from your licenced legal representative prior to purchasing a property.

6 What information is generally covered in the report?

At Acclaimed Building Consultancy the inspector(s) will check all accessible parts of the property. These include:

  • Interior of the building
  • Exterior of the building
  • Roof space – internal
  • Roof external
  • Under-floor space
  • Kitchens,
  • Bathrooms,
  • Roof exterior
  • Site.
  • Pool area:
  • Garageing/accommodation:
  • Outbuildings:
  • Verandah(s)/balcony(s):
  • Laundry/s:
  • Toilets:
  • Stairs/steps:
  • Services:  

6. Pre-sale (vendor/Agents) Building and Pest Reports explained.

Vendors/Agents sometimes get a building report on the property they are selling to give to interested buyers.

While this can help, it is important to be aware that it is not a substitute for your own independent pre purchase building report.

“Caveat Emptor” - Buyer beware. Purchasers should always obtain their own independent information and it is always important to seek advice from your licenced legal representative lawyer, conveyancer, solicitor etc. prior to purchasing a property. SUB TAB Order your report today Click hear to order on line

Contact Us

Please contact our office directly on 1300 557 902 if property address is not listed.

Search Reports

Pre-Sale Inspections 

3 Cairo Street, Cammeray

24 O'Hara Street, Marrickville

28 Cambridge Street, Rozelle


search more listings 

Accaimed Building Consultancy are members of     www.rics.org.au